This nourishing, simple supper is a great option for those nights when you don’t feel like switching on the oven. Cool any leftovers for a protein-packed lunchbox the next day.
Crispy kale, squash and pecan quinoa salad
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
160g red quinoa
2 tbsp olive oil
320g butternut squash, chopped into 2cm cubes
125g curly kale, woody stalks removed
75g pecan nuts
1 heaped tsp rosemary needles
50g dried cranberries
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
1. Put the quinoa in a saucepan and cover with twice its volume of cold water.
2. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down, cover and simmer for 18–20 min, until all the water is absorbed. Once cooked, fluff up the grains using a fork.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan and add the cubed butternut. Cook over a high heat for 10 min, then add the kale and fry for another 10 min or until the kale is crispy and the squash is cooked through.
4. Toast the pecans with the rosemary in a hot dry frying pan, until they turn golden and release wonderful, toasty aromas; keep a careful eye on them to prevent burning. Remove from the heat, roughly chop and tip on to a plate to cool.
5. Assemble the salad on each plate by dividing the quinoa among them and adding the kale, squash and pecans. Sprinkle with dried cranberries, dress with the oil and lemon juice, and serve.
LOW SAT FAT
1 OF 5-A-DAY
This recipe is from Katy Salter’s book Dairy-Free Delicious (Quadrille; £18.99), out now.