- Cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp lemon zest
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 250g brown rice
- 500ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 325g asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1cm pieces
- 150g sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced lengthways
- 25g unsalted cashews, toasted and chopped
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and spray with oil. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, for 3–4 min until soft. Add the garlic, lemon zest and chilli flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat the grains. Add the stock with 125ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 35–40 min until most of the liquid is evaporated and the rice is almost al dente.
- Meanwhile, put a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat and spray with oil. Cook the chicken, in batches if necessary, for 2–3 min on each side until golden and cooked through. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Remove the rice from the heat, then add the asparagus and sugar snaps. Cover and set aside to steam for 5 min.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, then stir through the chicken and cashews. Serve sprinkled with ground black pepper.
Nutrition per serving
432 33.8g 8g 1.7g 5.2g 6.4g 0.9g 65mg 59.8g 2.8mg Read more on how we calculate nutrition.