Healthier sausage rolls
Our healthier sausage rolls are lower in fat, calories and sugar than the originals.
no comments Serves Makes 32 Prep 15 min Cook 25 min
- 500g lean (5% fat) British pork mince
- 250g pack ready-to-eat quinoa
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2tsp Dijon mustard or English mustard powder
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- Grating fresh nutmeg
- 3tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 filo pastry sheets (270g pack)
- Olive oil spray
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper. Combine all the ingredients, except the pastry and oil, in a large bowl. Season with black pepper.
- Lay a sheet of filo on the worksurface and spray with oil, then place another sheet on top. Spray with a little more oil, then add a third sheet to the stack
and spray again with oil. Cut the pastry lengthways to give 2 rectangular strips. Repeat with the remaining filo sheets.
- Spoon a quarter of the pork mixture along a long edge of one of the pastry strips, moulding the mixture into a sausage shape with your hands as you go. Repeat with the rest of the mixture on the other pastry strips. Roll up to enclose the meat. Spray each long roll again with oil, then slice into 8.
- Put the sausage rolls on the prepared baking sheets, keeping the pastry join underneath. Cook for 20–25 min until the pastry is golden and the meat is cooked through. Serve warm or leave to cool completely.
Nutrition per serving
64kcal 5.3g 2.3g 0.5g 0.5g 0.3g 0.2g 9mg 6g 0.6mg Read more on how we calculate nutrition.