- 400g tin light evaporated milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Good grating nutmeg
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into 3mm slices
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 40g reduced-fat mature cheese, finely grated
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Mix the milk, garlic, nutmeg and all but 1tsp of the thyme leaves in a jug. Season with ground black pepper.
- Layer a third of the potatoes in a 2 litre gratin dish and sprinkle with half the shallots. Repeat the layers once, then finish with a layer of potatoes. Pour over the milk mixture and scatter with the reserved thyme. Cover with foil, then bake for 1 hr 10 min.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cheese and cook for 15–20 min or until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are cooked through.
How it compares to a classic dauphinoise potatoes recipe:
Classic dauphinoise potatoes recipe per serving: 521kcal, 8.3g protein, 40.3g fat, 24.8g saturates, 33.4g carbs, 5g sugar, 3.4g fibre, 0.4g salt, 166mg calcium, 0.8mg iron
See below for HFG’s dauphinoise potatoes nutrition per serving