- 240g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 7g sachet instant dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 1–2tsp ground mixed spice
- 40g soft brown sugar
- 150g mixed dried fruit, including raisins, dried apricots (chopped) and cranberries
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3tbsp icing sugar
- Put the flour, yeast, salt, mixed spice, sugar and two-thirds of the dried fruit in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, then mix in enough lukewarm water (up to 165ml) to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 min or until it forms a smooth ball. Dust the work surface with more flour if needed.
- Put the dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl and cover with lightly greased clingfilm. Leave in a warm place for 30 min to prove (rise). The dough is ready when it springs back into place when you press it. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead again for 5 min.
- Divide the dough into 2 even balls. Use your hands to roll each piece of dough into a 40cm long sausage. Put both lengths on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Starting at the top, ‘plait’ them, then brush the ends with some of the egg to seal. Brush the loaf with the remaining egg, then cover with lightly greased clingfilm and leave for 10 min. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Remove the clingfilm, then sprinkle the remaining dried fruit over the loaf. Bake for 25 min or until well risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar in a small bowl with a little water until the consistency is just runny, then drizzle over the cooled bread. Slice into 10 to serve.
Nutrition per serving
155kcal 3.7g 1.2g 0.2g 1.9g 15.2g 0.1g 49mg 34.7g 1.3mg Read more on how we calculate nutrition.