- 200g drained roasted peppers from a jar in brine
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded
- Juice 1 lemon
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 400g tin chickpeas in water, drained
- 1 courgette, grated and excess water squeezed out
- ½tbsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4tbsp plain flour
- 40g panko breadcrumbs
- 75g reduced-fat halloumi, grated
- 2tsp sunflower oil
- 50g baby spinach
- 4 wholegrain rolls, halved
- 2 large gherkins, sliced
- Put the roasted peppers, red chilli and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Set aside
- Steam the squash for 6–7 min (or microwave for 3–4 min) until just tender. Put it in a large bowl with the chickpeas and mash until slightly chunky. Add the courgette, cumin, coriander, egg, flour, breadcrumbs and halloumi. Stir to combine.
- Wet your hands, then shape the mixture into 4 large burgers.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the burgers to the hot pan and cook for 2–3 min on each side, turning carefully with a spatula, until golden and cooked through.
- To serve, layer the baby spinach, burgers and pepper sauce on the bottom halves of the bread rolls. Finish with the slices of gherkin and add the bread roll tops.
Nutrition per serving
396kcal 21g 10.4g 3.3g 10g 8.9g 2.3g 362mg 58.1g 5.3mg Read more on how we calculate nutrition.