Pumpkin & bean soup with orange gremolata
Try this warming pumpkin soup for an autumnal lunch. It's topped with an orange gremolata for a zingy twist.
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 600g pumpkin, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
- 250g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1.1 litre reduced-salt vegetable stock
- Pinch nutmeg
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 4 slices wholegrain bread
- 50g reduced-fat cheddar, grated
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
For the gremolata
- 4tbsp finely chopped flatleaf parsley
- 2tsp orange zest
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 min or until soft.
- Add the pumpkin, sweet potatoes, stock and nutmeg and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 min or until the veg are very tender. Add the beans and stir well, then blend the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth.
- While the soup is simmering, heat the grill to high and line a baking tray with baking paper. Put the bread on the tray and grill for 1–2 min on each side. Scatter one side with both cheeses and grill until the cheese melts and bubbles.
- Toss all the gremolata ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Divide the pumpkin soup among 4 bowls, scatter with the gremolata and serve with the cheese toasts.
TO FREEZE Make the recipe up to the end of step 2, cool and freeze. When ready to serve, thaw and reheat until piping hot. Finish the recipe from step 3.