- 1.5kg free-range whole chicken
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 small peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large courgette, cut into batons
- 1 small aubergine, cut into chunks
- 4 small tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 bulb garlic, separated, unpeeled
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- Handful mixed fresh herbs, such as bay leaves and rosemary, thyme and sage sprigs, or 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4tbsp white wine or dry sherry
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Sit the chicken in a large roasting tin and rub with 1tsp of the oil. Season with ground black pepper, then roast for 1hr.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven, then add the veg, tomatoes, garlic, lemon and herbs. Combine the mustard, wine or sherry and remaining oil, then pour over the chicken. Cover the bird (not the veg) with foil, then roast for 45 min or until the chicken is cooked through (the juices should run clear when a thigh is pierced with a skewer).
- Take out of the oven, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rest for 15 min. Lift the chicken on to a board to carve. Serve with the veg, drizzled with the pan juices
Nutrition per serving
404 33.7g 25.3g 6.7g 4.1g 7.5g 0.4g 43mg 8.9g 2.1mg Read more on how we calculate nutrition.