Ginacarlo’s tip: ‘Other vegetables can be used, such as broccoli, fennel and aubergines.’
Roasted vegetable and farro salad
Prep 15 min Cook 25 min
- 500g courgettes, cut into 1cm rounds
- 2 peppers, cut widthways into 1cm rings
- 2 red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, left whole with skin on, lightly squashed
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 7tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tsp dried oregano
- A few fresh thyme sprigs
- 300g farro
- 30g coarsely grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 30g fresh basil leaves, roughly torn, plus extra to garnish
1 Heat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/gas 6. Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with 4tbsp of the oil. Add the oregano and plenty of ground black pepper, then transfer to a large baking tray and scatter over the garlic and thyme. Cook for 25–30 min until they veg are softened and just starting to brown.
2 Meanwhile, cook the farro in a pan with plenty of boiling water until al dente. Drain, then toss with the remaining olive oil in a large bowl. Set aside.
3 Remove the vegetables from the oven and tip over the farro while still warm. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
4 To serve, toss through the cheese, pine nuts and torn basil, then season with black pepper and serve garnished with extra basil leaves.
LOW SAT FAT
1 OF 5-A-DAY