To celebrate Veganuary, we’ve rounded up some of the finest tasting snacks and products that are suitable for vegans.
1. Rubies In The Rubble Chipotle Mayo, £2.99/210g, Ocado
Aquafaba (water left over after cooking chickpeas) replaces eggs in this slightly spicy vegan alternative to traditional mayonnaise.
Per 15g serving l 94kcal l 10g fat l 0.6g saturates l 0.3g sugars l 0.2g salt
2. M&S Sesame, Chilli & Coriander Tofu , £4/180g
One mouthful of this bean curd offering from M&S will convert any tofu sceptic. Add to a colourful stir-fry for a protein boost.
Per 1/2 pack l 116kcal l 6.6g fat l 1g saturates|0.5g sugars l 0.6g salt
3. Booja Booja The Rainbow Collection , £1.19/2 truffles, Holland & Barrett
This two-pack of tasty dairy-free truffles is too good to share (don’t worry, we won’t tell). We’ve fallen in love with the Almond Salted Caramel flavour.
Per truffle l 65kcal l 4.8g fat l 2.2g saturates l 3.5g sugars l 0g salt
4. Simple Bakes, £1.79/120g, Ocado
Baked is better than fried, and wholegrain is even better. Gluten, dairy, nut free and vegan, these bites have legs. Our top choice: Smoky BBQ.
Per 24g serving (Smoky BBQ) l 96kcal l 1.6g fat l 0.6g saturates l 1.2g sugars l 0.4g salt
5. Fullgreen Cauli Rice Cauliflower & Broccoli Rice, £1.99/200g, Asda
60% cauliflower, 40% broccoli and 0% anything else. Serve with curry or chilli – super convenient for the office microwave lunch.
Per pack l 50kcal l 1g fat l 0g saturates l 2g sugars l 0g salt
6. Itsu Vegetable Fusion Gyoza, from £3/20, Tesco, Waitrose, Ocado
These delicate steamed gyoza (Asian-style dumplings) are a light mix of veg, tofu and soya mince in wheat parcels that come with a seasoned soy dipping sauce. Keep a bag in the freezer – they’re low-cal, vegan and cook from frozen in just 3 minutes. Need we say more? Oh, and they’re really tasty.
Per serving (8 gyoza) l 192 kcal l 3.8g fat l 0.5g saturates l 2.7g sugars l 0.5g salt
7. Gosh! Tuscan Vegetable Bites With Butternut & Spinach, from £2.18/200g, Asda, Ocado
These delicious plant-based bites are low calorie and free from gluten, egg, dairy, nuts and soya. A good swap for pastry-based buffet nibbles.
Per 4 bites l 85kcal l 0.7g fat l 0.1g saturates l 2.4g sugars l 1g salt
8. The Happy Pear Sweet Beet Hummus, £2/150g, Waitrose
The pretty pink colour and sweet flavour of this chickpea dip comes from cooked beetroot. Try dunking in some crudités or add oomph to a sarnie.
Per 1/3 tub l 122kcal l 9.1g fat l 0.9g saturates l 1.4g sugars l 0.4g salt
9. Asda Vegetarian Edamame, Asparagus & Mint Burgers, £1.50/2
Suitable for vegans or anyone looking for more greenery in their diet, these ‘burgers’ avoid the stodge of some meat alternatives. Lightly minty in flavour.
Per burger (oven-baked) l 141 kcal l 7.3g fat l 0.9g saturates l 5.1g sugars l 0.7g salt
10. Glorious! Super Soups Boosting Indian Cauliflower, Chickpea & Turmeric, £2/600g, various supermarkets
For those feeling less than their best, this range of soups, known for great flavour, has been relaunched with added vitamin A, known for boosting skin and hair and supporting a healthy immune system. Pair half a tub with a wholemeal bread roll for an easy work lunch.
Per ½ pot l 114kcal l 2.4g fat l 1.5g saturates l 1.8g sugars l 0.7g salt
11. Divine Deliciously Dark Smooth Hazelnut Chocolate, £2.20/90g, Whole Foods Market
Many dark chocolate bars are vegan – but just to be safe, make sure you check the label first. This hazelnut slab from Divine is smooth and sophisticated and all-importantly, vegan-friendly.
Per 30g serving l 175kcal l 12.6g fat l 6g saturates l 10.5g sugars l 0g salt
12. Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Champagne Lentils, £1.99/250g, Sainsbury’s
Per 125g serving l 191kcal l 2.4g fat l 0.3g saturates l 0.5 sugars l 0g salt
13. Oatly Oat Drink Skinny, £1.80/1L, Ocado
Available in skinny, semi and whole variations (just like dairy-based milk), this creamy oat milk is deliciously dairy-free, soy-free, vegan and has just 0.5% fat – hence the name skinny. Use it to top your favourite cereals or create your own oat lattes at home.
Per 100ml serving l 37 kcal l 0.5g fat l 0.1g saturates l 4.1g sugars l 0.1g salt
14. Onist Healthy Avocado Choc Pot, £3.50/ 102g, Whole Foods Market
Proving there’s more than one way to make a chocolate mousse, these pots combine creamy avocado with cashews and dates. It’s an interesting idea – resulting in a super rich and indulgent pudding.