Why join an expensive gym when you can get fit at home? And you don’t need expensive and cumbersome gym equipment, which will gather dust under the stairs.
Burn calories, lose weight and feel great with our guide to the affordable and space-saving gear that can really make a difference.
1. Increase your cardio fitness with a kettle bell. Suitable for people of all fitness levels, use it for dynamic, full-body moves and see your strength soar. Go here for a free e-book showing you how to use the versatile piece of kit.
2. Compact, affordable and perfect for increasing flexibility and strength, a latex resistance band can be used by anyone from beginners to seasoned athletes. Click here for ways to use it.
3. Work on your core while sitting on a gym ball – it makes the perfect home office chair or as a tummy-strengthening alternative to slumping on the sofa while watching TV. It’s also perfect for ab crunches, leg lifts and squats-and-reaches.
4. Whether you want to burn fat, build muscle or beat stress, there are countless workout DVDs you can follow to get fit from the comfort and privacy of your own living room. It’s the perfect solution if you’re short on time or hate getting red-faced in public and, once the workout is over, you can hop straight in the shower.
5. Keep health and fitness inspiration close to hand with a fitness tracker such as a Fitbit, a favourite accessory in the HFG office. It will monitor your sleep, activity and calorie burn and soon you’ll be addicted and counting every step. You have been warned!
6. Great for flexible hips and a taut waistline, the hula hoop delivers a really lively workout. Chances are you’ll know a child with a hoop lurking in depths of their toy cupboard, so get a wiggle on and with a little practice you’ll master a fantastic, do-it-anywhere, cardiovascular workout.
7. Say goodbye to bingo wings with an easy-to-use set of hand weights. And, if you’ve no hand weights, no problem. Fill plastic bottles with tap water and you’ll have a set of free dumbbells at the ready.
8. Ideal for core strength exercises and easing out aching muscles, give yourself a DIY deep tissue massage with a handy foam roller.
9. Skip yourself slim with an old school skipping rope. It’s fun, cheap and effective and 15 minutes a day of skipping will result in a fitter, leaner you.
10. Had a bad day at work? Remedy the stress with a good hard swipe at a punchbag. Your partner will probably thank you, too!
If you’re keen to invest in a larger piece of kit such as a treadmill or an exercise bike check out eBay and Gumtree for second-hand equipment. Chances are the previous owner is getting rid of it to free up space and you’ll snap up a bargain piece of kit in mint condition.