Be sugar smart
Always look at the ingredients list, as well as the nutrition information.
The values for sugars given in the nutrition panel include natural sugars from dried fruit, but also free sugars (the type we should be cutting back on) from ingredients such as sugar, treacle, honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, date syrup, glycerol, fructose and fruit concentrates.
All the granolas we looked at contain free sugars in varying amounts. Some also include natural sugars from dried fruit.
The higher up the ingredients list free sugars appear, the more of them the product contains.
Watch portion sizes – make fruit and natural yogurt the bulk of your breakfast, then top with just a small amount of granola.
Granola sugar content, ordered from best to worst
1. Lizi’s Low Sugar Granola, £3.69/500g, contains 1.7g (½tsp) sugars per 45g
2. Waitrose Love Life Free From Gluten Granola With Almonds & Sultanas, £3.75/500g, contains 4.3g (1tsp) sugars per 45g
3. Rude Health The Ultimate Organic Granola, £4.99/500g, contains 5g (1¼tsp) sugars per 45g
4. Dorset Cereals Honey Granola, £3.79/550g, contains 6.8g (1¾tsp) sugars per 45g
5. Biona Organic Honey Hazelnut Granola, £3.99/375g, contains 8.1g (2tsp) sugars per 45g
6. Alpen Oat Granola Linseeds, Pumpkin & Sunflower Seeds, £2.99/400g, contains 8.6g (2¼tsp) sugars per 45g
7. Jordans Super Fruity Granola, £3.99/600g, contains 9g (2¼tsp) sugars per 45g
8. Kellogg’s Special K Granola Raisins & Red Apple, £2.99/370g, contains 9.9g (2½tsp) sugars per 45g
9. Quaker Oat Granola Raisin, £2.69/550g, contains 10.1g (2½tsp) sugars per 45g
10. The Food Doctor Cacao & Tangerine Granola, £2.99/425g, contains 11g: (2¾tsp) sugars per 45g
11. Gail’s Artisan Bakery Granola, £6.90/500g, contains 11.7g (3tsp) sugars per 45g
12. Scrumshus The Premium Granola, £4.99/500g, contains 14.2g (3½tsp) sugars per 45g