Not into swimming? We show you how to achieve an easy water workout with five simple moves
FOR DIY MUSCLE TONING and burning calories, you can’t beat a water workout. These exercises from exercise and nutrition scientist Kathleen Alleaume are great fun and highly addictive – you may even find other holidaymakers joining in!
1. Running in water As effective as running on land, water is a lot kinder to joints, muscles and bones. Get comfortable in water slightly out of your depth and start to move your arms and legs in a circular, running motion. The resistance will help with muscular endurance and toning. Start with a 5 min workout and work up to 10 min and you’ll target arms, legs, buttocks, thighs and abs.
2. Push the ball Stand in chest-high water, feet apart and arms in front, holding a ball. Push the ball under the water and swing it make a vertical figure-of-eight pattern through the water. Avoid straining your shoulders or back by keeping the moves smooth as possible and aim for 2 sets of 10 figure of eights.
3. Water squats Stand in waist-deep water, feet hip-width apart. Bend your knees and push hips back, as if sitting on a chair. Keep knees behind your toes and feet planted firmly on the bottom. Hold briefly, then squeeze your bottom muscles as you stand up. Two sets of 10 squats will help firm up buttocks, legs and thighs.
4. Poolside press Stand with your back against side of pool, arms along the edge for support. Draw legs to chest and extend them straight ahead. Inhaling, swing your legs to the left, then the right. Exhale as you move them back to centre and withdraw them back to your chest. This targets abs and lower back and you should do 2 sets of 10 presses.
5. Standing kickbacks Stand in chest-deep water, at arm’s length away from the pool wall. Rest both hands again the wall at shoulder height, keeping arms straight and shoulders relaxed. Raise your left leg to a comfortable height and gently swing it back keeping supporting leg bent. Great for buttocks, legs, thighs and abs. Aim for 2 sets of 10 kicks with each leg.