For the flatbreads
- 200g spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1tsp baking powder
- 200g low-fat Greek or dairy-free yogurt or 150ml warm water
For the topping
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 3 red peppers, finely chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes (I use Turkish)
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- Small bunch fresh mint, chopped
For the salad
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Juice ½ lemon, plus extra to taste
- 5 ripe vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp sumac
- 1tsp harissa or Turkish chilli paste
- 2tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- Put all the flatbread ingredients into the bowl of your food processor and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. If you don’t have a food processor, this can be done in a bowl using a fork to begin with, followed by your hands, but it will take longer. Dust a clean worksurface with flour and tip out the dough. Knead for a minute or so to bring it all together. This is a quick flatbread recipe, so you don’t need to knead it for long. Put the dough into a flour-dusted bowl and cover with a plate. Put to one side to rise a little for 10–15 min while you do some other jobs. Don’t expect it to rise like normal dough, but it may puff up a tiny bit.
- To make the topping, heat a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onions and red peppers to the pan with half the oil. Cook on a medium heat for 10 min, until soft and sweet, then add the dried chilli, fresh chilli and mint along with the remaining oil.
- Next, make your salad. Put the onion into a bowl with the lemon juice. Scrunch with your hands, then leave to pickle. Put the tomatoes and fresh herbs into a bowl with the spices and the pomegranate molasses and add the lemon-pickled red onions. Season well with freshly ground black pepper and add a little more lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil, balancing out the flavours until it tastes great.
- Now back to the flatbreads. Put a large frying pan or griddle pan (about 22-24cm) on a medium heat. Dust a clean worksurface and rolling pin with flour, then divide the dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. Using your hands, pat and flatten out the dough, then use the rolling pin to roll each piece into about 20cm round, roughly 2–3mm thick. Once your pan is hot, cook each flatbread for 1–2 min on each side, until nicely puffed up, turning with tongs.
- Spread with the onion and chilli mixture while hot, and serve straightaway with spoonfuls of salad.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
398 15.1g 11.7g 2.2g 12.2g 21.4g 0.5g 148mg 58.4g 2.6mg