- 2tsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- ½ red pepper, roughly sliced
- 60g arborio rice
- Pinch turmeric
- ½ reduced-salt vegetable stock cube
- 30g frozen peas
- 20g artichoke hearts from a jar, drained
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry for a few min until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a few more min. Just before the garlic starts to brown, add the red pepper, arborio rice and turmeric, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Stir for 1 min to coat the rice in the mixture.
- Add 100ml boiling water to the pan, then crumble in the ½ stock cube and simmer, stirring continuously, as the liquid is absorbed by the rice. Gradually add more boiling water (100ml at a time – you will need about 400ml in total), until the rice is cooked. This will take about 15 min.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the frozen peas and cook for about 3 min, then add the artichokes. Remove from the heat and season with more pepper to serve.
Recipe from Vegan One Pound Meals by Miguel Barclay (Headline, £16.99), out now.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
415 8.1g 12g 2g 7g 10g 0.7g 44mg 63g 1.7mg