- 1 large aubergine, chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 large red onion, chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 large red pepper, chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 large courgette, chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Cooking oil spray
- 400g can cannellini beans in water, drained
- 400g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 2tsp balsamic vinegar
For dinner (serves 4)
- 200g quick-cook polenta or fine cornmeal
- 50g parmesan or Italian-style vegetarian hard cheese, finely grated
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200ºC/fan 180°C/gas 6 and line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Put the chopped aubergine, onion, pepper and courgette in the tray, then scatter over the garlic and thyme. Spray with oil, then roast for 20 min.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the tray and drizzle over the balsamic vinegar. Bake for another 10 min or until the vegetables are golden and the tomatoes soft. Stir and season with black pepper.
- While the ratatouille is cooking, put 1 litre water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, then add the polenta in a slow, steady stream. Cook, mixing with a whisk, for 6–7 min until thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and stir through two-thirds of the cheese with a spoon.
- Transfer a fifth of the ratatouille to a container, leave to cool, then cover with a lid and chill for lunch the next day. Divide the polenta among 4 plates, top with the rest of the ratatouille and sprinkle over the remaining cheese, then serve garnished with basil, if you like.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
338kcal 14.9g 5.9g 2.8g 9.2g 10.9g 0.3g 215mg 57.1g 2.7mg