- 175g quick-cook barley
- 1 large avocado, peeled and stone removed
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 25g bunch fresh mint
- 25g bunch fresh parsley
- 1tbsp tahini paste or almond butter
- 400g cooked skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 baby gem lettuces, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 100g watercress
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- Fresh red chilli, sliced, to taste
- Put the barley in a pan and cover with 1 litre boiling water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for 10 min or until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- In a food processor, whiz the avocado, lemon zest and juice, two-thirds of the herbs, all the tahini or almond butter, 5tbsp cold water and some black pepper until smooth. Add a little more water if it’s too thick.
- Combine the cooled barley with the chicken and all the remaining ingredients. Drizzle over the avocado dressing, then toss well and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
456kcal 40.3g 15.8g 3.1g 5.5g 3.1g 0.3g 161mg 40.8g 4.7mg