- 1.75 litre hot reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick and some celery leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g arborio rice
- 250ml dry white wine
- 4tbsp grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Heat the stock in a pan and keep it simmering.
- In a separate, heavy-based pan, heat the oil and slowly fry the onion, celery and garlic on a very low heat until translucent (using less oil than standard recipes means this can take about 15 min).
- Add the rice, then turn up the heat and stir until all the grains are coated and mixed with the onion mixture. Add the wine gradually, stirring all the time, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding more.
- Turn down the heat, then slowly add the hot stock, one ladleful at a time. Keep stirring and add another ladleful as soon as the liquid is absorbed. Keep adding the stock and stirring until the rice is soft and creamy but still has a bite. This should take around 20 min from first adding the wine.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the cheese, followed by your additional ingredients (see below for suggestions).
- Turn off the heat, then cover the pan and leave for a couple of min to allow the creaminess to develop. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Now add your favourite flavours…
– Cauliflower florets, walnuts and garlic
– Pumpkin and sage
– Roasted butternut squash, mushrooms and red wine
– Grated cooked beetroot, green beans and garlic
– Smoked haddock, sweetcorn and peas