- 600g root vegetables (such as swede, parsnips and carrots), cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 onions, halved
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 600g lean rolled beef brisket
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 very low salt chicken stock cube mixed with 225ml boiling water
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2tsp dried oregano
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- If using a slow-cooker, switch it to low. Layer the vegetables on the bottom of the cooker, then sit the meat on top. Add the tomatoes, stock, chilli flakes, oregano and cinnamon. Cover and cook for 4 hr on high or 7 hr on low. If using a conventional oven, heat to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Put all the ingredients in an oven-proof lidded casserole and cook for 5 hr.
- Transfer the beef from the cooking pot to a carving board, cover and leave to rest for a few min. Gently transfer the vegetables to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Transfer the juices to a jug.
- When ready to serve, slice the meat and serve with the vegetables and juices.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
347 35.4g 10.6g 4g 9.6g 17.4g 0.5g 146mg 146mg 4.7mg