- 1tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean braising steak, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 2tsp plain flour
- 250ml hot reduced-salt beef stock
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ small swede, chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- For the dumplings
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted
- 45g low-fat spread
- 3tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 6tbsp skimmed milk
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Add one-third of the beef and cook, stirring, for 5 min or until browned. Transfer to a large plate, then repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add the onion to the dish and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 min or until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min, then sprinkle in the paprika and plain flour and stir until combined. Remove from the heat and slowly pour in the stock, stirring until combined.
- Return the dish to the heat, then add the celery, carrot, swede and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add the beef and stir well. Cover and transfer to the oven for 1 hr 30 min–2 hr until tender.
- To make the dumplings, put the self-raising flour in a mixing bowl with the low-fat spread, then rub together using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the parsley, then add the milk and mix with a palette knife to form a dough. Roll the dough into 24 small balls.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, lift the lid and put the dumplings on top. Cover and return to the oven for a further 15–20 min until the dumplings are risen and cooked through.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
493 36g 16.1g 5g 6.5g 12g 1.5g 291mg 54.5g 4.2mg