User Review( vote)
Cabbage, tomato and spring onion stir-fry
This simple stir-fry comes with all the sweet, sour, peppery and umami notes that form the basis of classic Chinese cooking. It's perfect for a speedy vegan dinner and what's more, it contains only 163 calories per serving!
Prep Time 8min
Cooking Time 6min
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- Chunk fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and sliced into quarters
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 chinese cabbage, leaves separated and cut into 2.5cm slices
- 1tbsp shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 50ml cold vegetable stock, made with a very low salt stock cube
- 1tbsp reduced-salt light soy sauce
- 1tsp clear rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1tsp cornflour blended with 1tbsp cold water
- Heat a wok over a high heat until it starts to smoke, then add the oil. Add the ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for a few seconds to release the flavours. Add the tomatoes, pepper and cabbage and toss for 3 min, until the cabbage starts to wilt and the pepper is tender.
- Add the rice wine or sherry and the stock. Stir in the soy sauce and vinegar, then stir in the blended cornflour. Simmer for a min or so to thicken the sauce, then serve.
Recipe taken from Stir Crazy by Ching-He Huang (Kyle Books, £19.99)