User Review( votes)
- 800g spelt and rye flour blend (we used Sharpham Park, available at Waitrose and sharphampark.com), plus extra to dust
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 2tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 1tsp caraway seeds
- Zest 1 orange
- 4tbsp orange juice
- 2tbsp molasses or black treacle
- In a large bowl, combine the flour blend with the yeast, sugar and caraway seeds.
- In another bowl, beat together the orange zest, orange juice and molasses or treacle with 350ml warm water. Add to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Bring the mixture together using your hands to form a dough (add an extra 1tbsp water if too dry). Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 8–10 min until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl, cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hr 30 min or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough in half, then shape each into a ball with oiled hands. Using the palm of your hand, pat down each into a round about 3cm thick.
- Dust 2 large baking trays with flour and put a dough ball on each, dust with extra flour and leave in a warm place to rise again for 45–60 min until 1½ times their original size. About 10 min before the end of the rising time, heat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Bake for 30–35 min. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
153kcal 4.6g 1g 0.2g 4.9g 4.3g 0g 15mg 28.7g 0.5mg