- 100g raisins or sultanas
- 175g carrots, coarsely grated
- Zest and juice 1 large orange
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 125g self-raising flour, sifted
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 125g light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6tbsp sunflower oil
- 4tbsp apple sauce
- 200g extra-light cream cheese
- 3tbsp icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Lightly grease a 20cm square cake tin. In a mixing bowl, combine the raisins, carrots and orange zest, reserving a little zest to decorate. Pour over all but 1tbsp of the orange juice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the flours, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, spices and sugar. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sunflower oil and apple sauce until combined.
- Add the raisin and the egg mixtures to the flour mix and stir to combine. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 40–50 min until firm to the touch. Leave in the tin for 10 min, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and reserved 1tbsp orange juice until smooth. Spread over the cooled sponge, scatter with the reserved zest, then cut into 16 squares
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
181 4.6g 6g 1.2g 2.1g 17.7g 0.4g 67mg 29.4g 1.2mg