- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus 4–6 extra sprigs to garnish
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g small chestnut mushrooms, halved, or button mushrooms
- 275g arborio rice
- 200ml white wine
- 500ml hot very low salt gluten-free vegetable stock
- 300g chard, chopped
- 100g lightest soft cheese
- 8 mild peppers from a jar, finely chopped
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 50g parmesan-style vegetarian cheese, shaved
- In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, thyme, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4–5 min until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3 min. Stir in the rice and cook for a further 2 min, then add the wine and boil rapidly for a few min.
- Gradually add the hot stock, allowing it to be absorbed before adding 1.25 litres water, about a teacupful at a time, stirring occasionally until it’s fully absorbed and the rice is cooked. You may not need all the water.
- Once the rice is creamy and thick, fold in the chard and cook for 2–3 min until tender. Stir in the soft cheese and peppers and heat through. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, then serve the risotto sprinkled with parmesan and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
500 16g 9.8g 3.9g 4.3g 15g 1g 247mg 75g 2.2mg