- Cooking oil spray
- 1 large (about 350g) aubergine, cut lengthways into ½cm thick slices
- 250g passata
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 500g skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthways into 1cm thick
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 75g reduced-fat cheddar, grated
- 25g breadcrumbs
- 4 medium slices sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Mixed salad, to serve
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Spray a 2 litre ovenproof dish with oil.
- Set a griddle pan over a medium heat and spray with oil. Add the aubergine slices and cook for 2 min on each side or until tender. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, simmer the passata, tomatoes, sugar and balsamic vinegar for 5 min. Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with oil and cook the chicken over a high heat for 2–3 min on each side until golden. Add the lemon juice and oregano, then remove from the heat.
- Layer the chicken in the prepared dish with the griddled aubergine and tomato sauce. Sprinkle over the cheese and breadcrumbs, then bake for 30 min.
- When the parmigiana is nearly ready, spray each piece of bread with oil, then toast under a hot grill. Combine the garlic and parsley in a small bowl, then spread over the toast.
- Serve the parmigiana with the garlic toasts and mixed salad.
Looking for more midweek meal inspiration? Check out our most popular healthy chicken recipes
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
417 44.2g 7.5g 2.5g 6.7g 13.4g 1.6mg 313mg 46g 3.8mg