User Review( votes)
Chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
Our comforting chicken casserole is a fuss-free way to feed the whole family. We've topped our recipe with moreish tarragon dumplings, that soak up the hearty flavours perfectly. Any leftovers can be frozen for a quick and easy midweek dinner.
- 175g self-raising flour
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- Spray olive oil
- 4 banana shallots, chopped
- 350g carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500ml very low salt chicken stock
- 3½tbsp dijon mustard
- 20g fresh tarragon, chopped
- 100g fat-free Greek yogurt
- Put 25g of the flour on a plate and season with pepper. Dust the chicken in the flour. Spray a frying pan with oil, fry the chicken over a medium heat for 7–8 min to brown, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the shallots and carrots in a flameproof casserole sprayed with oil. Fry for 8 min, add the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Pour in the stock and 150ml water, bring to a simmer, then stir in 2½tbsp of the mustard. Add the chicken and simmer for 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the remaining flour and most of the tarragon in a mixing bowl. Add the yogurt with the rest of the mustard, then stir well. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and gently roll into balls. Arrange the dumplings over the surface of the stew and sprinkle with the remaining tarragon. Cover and cook for 20 min more or until the dumplings are light and fluffy.