- 400g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1½tsp dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1tsp runny honey or sugar
- 200ml dry cider
- 200ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 300g small chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
- 4 servings mashed potato (see right), to serve
- Secure each chicken thigh with a cocktail stick or cook’s string to make a small parcel. Spray a large flameproof casserole dish with oil, heat, then add the chicken. Cook for 8–10 min until browned all over, then transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and thyme to the pan and cook for 4–5 min. Add the garlic and tomato purée and cook for a further 1 min. Add the chicken, then the honey or sugar, cider, stock, mushrooms and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 15 min, turning the chicken halfway.
- Scatter with the parsley, if using, then serve with the mash.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
319 27.6g 6.8g 1.4g 5.1g 9.1g 0.7g 75mg 35.8g 3mg