For the pastry
- 225g wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1½tsp baking powder
- 4tbsp olive oil
For the filling
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 700g skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 450g mushrooms, sliced
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 200ml very low salt chicken stock
- 125g low-fat soured cream (we used Yeo Valley)
- 2tbsp dijon mustard
- Good grating nutmeg
- 2tbsp skimmed milk
- 500g green beans
- To make the pastry, combine the wholemeal flour with the baking powder, then add the olive oil slowly and mix through. Add 6–7tbsp cold water, a little at a time, and keep mixing until the mixture clumps together (it’s easiest to do this in a food processor, if you have one).
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Flour your hands, then form the dough into a ball. Knead it gently until just smooth, then flatten slightly into a disc and wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 10–15 min.
- While the pastry is chilling, heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5 and prepare the filling. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add the leeks, garlic and chicken, then cook for 5–6 min. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 min or until golden. Sprinkle in the plain flour and stir well. Gradually add the stock, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, then simmer for 5 min. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soured cream, mustard and nutmeg. Season with black pepper, then spoon the filling into a 27cm round pie dish or a 1.5 litre (approx) baking dish.
- Transfer the chilled pastry to a clean, lightly floured surface and roll out into a large round to cover the pie (or the shape of the dish you are using). Cover the filling with the pastry, trimming off any excess to fit. Score with a sharp knife, making 2 or 3 small slits in the centre to let the steam escape. Brush the pastry with the milk and bake for 50 min or until golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and leave to cool for 5 min. Meanwhile, steam the green beans, then serve with the pie.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
398kcal 38.4g 11.5g 2.1g 9.3g 6.1g 0.9g 124mg 37.1g 3.6mg