- Cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g fresh ginger, grated
- 12 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or ½tsp dried chilli flakes
- 100g dried red lentils, rinsed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp reduced-salt chicken stock powder
- 200ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 500g peeled butternut squash or pumpkin, cut into large chunks
- 150g spinach
- ½ small bunch fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 250g basmati rice
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil, then cook the onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add the chicken and curry powder and cook for a few min to seal the chicken.
- Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker (see tip), then add the chilli, red lentils, tomatoes, stock powder, 450ml boiling water, the coconut milk and butternut squash or pumpkin. Stir well, then cook on high for 3 hr or low for 6 hr.
- Switch off the slow cooker, then stir the spinach and coriander through the curry and leave to stand for 20 min. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions.
- Serve the curry with the rice, garnished with extra coriander leaves.
COOK’s TIP If you don’t have a slow cooker, cook this in a lidded casserole in a low oven for 4 hr
Fancy curry in a hurry? Try 13 of our easy curry recipes.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
416 31.5g 7.7g 3.9g 5.3g 8.5g 0.6g 145mg 56g 6.7mg