- Cooking oil spray
- 450g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 500g chicken breast mince
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 courgette, grated
- 150g mushrooms, chopped
- 300g 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 40g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 aubergine, very thinly sliced
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5 and lightly spray a 2 litre ovenproof dish with oil. Cook the potatoes in a medium pan of boiling water for 5–6 min until almost tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick frying pan with a little oil and put over a medium-high heat. Cook the chicken mince with the garlic and onion for 4–5 min until evenly browned. Add the cinnamon, oregano, tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, grated courgette and the mushrooms. Cook for 8–10 min. While these are cooking, mix the yogurt and parmesan together in a small bowl.
- Put a third of the mince mixture in the prepared dish. Top with a third of the potato slices, then a third of the aubergine slices (no need to salt them first). Don’t worry if the layers don’t completely cover the surface. Repeat these layers twice more, ending with a layer of aubergine. Dot the yogurt mix over the top and spread evenly.
- Bake the moussaka for 40–45 min until golden. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
See our healthier moussaka too for a lighter take on the traditional recipe.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
424 54.8g 8.4g 3.8g 7.3g 12.6g 0.7g 258mg 33g 3.1mg