- 1tbsp olive oil
- 700g lean beef, diced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2–3tsp chipotle paste
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 140g self raising flour
- 2tbsp polenta
- 60g low fat spread
- 15g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 x 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g baby corn, sliced
- 2tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Set a large flameproof casserole dish (that has a lid) on the hob over a medium-high heat. Drizzle in half the oil and heat, then add the beef and cook for 5 min or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same dish. Add the onions, garlic and peppers and cook, stirring, for 5 min or until the onion softens. Return the beef to the dish with the chipotle paste and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and 100ml water to the dish and bring to the boil. Cover with the lid and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hr 20 min or until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour and polenta in a medium bowl. Rub the spread into the flour mixture, then stir in the parmesan and 3tbsp cold water to make a soft dough.
- Remove the dish from the oven, uncover and stir in the kidney beans and baby corn. Drop tablespoon-size balls of dough on to the stew, making sure they are about 2cm apart. Cover the dish, return to the oven and bake for 20 min or until the dumplings are firm to the touch and cooked through.
- Scatter the parsley over the stew and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
391 35.4g 11.6g 3.6g 8.7g 11.6g 0.7g 170mg 38.5g 5.8mg