- Cooking oil spray
- 250g stoneless dates
- 125g walnut pieces
- 2tbsp cocoa
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, separated
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 10 walnut halves, to decorate
- 4 stoneless dates, roughly chopped, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/mark 4. Line the base of a 23cm cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides with a little oil.
- In a food processor, whiz the dates, walnuts, cocoa and half the sugar until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl and add the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining sugar, whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy. Fold the whisked egg white mixture into the date mixture and stir lightly until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin. Put in the oven and bake for 30–40 min, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for about 15 min, then turn out. Leave to cool completely.
- Top with the yogurt, then decorate by putting the walnut halves around the edge of the cake and piling the dates in the centre.
- Chill for several hours or overnight (the yogurt topping will thicken to resemble a cream cheese icing). Allow the cake to come to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
192 kcal 5.4g 9g 1.3g 1.5g 23.8g 0.1g 41mg 23.9g 0.9mg