For the pastry
- 140g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 50g butter, cut into pieces
- 2tsp cocoa powder
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling
- 100g dark (70% cocoa solids) chocolate, very finely chopped
- 1tbsp cocoa powder, plus ½tsp extra to dust
- ¾tsp instant coffee granules
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 85g half-fat crème fraîche, plus extra to serve (optional)
- Reserve 2tsp of the flour, then put the rest with the butter into a bowl and rub into fine crumbs. Sift in the cocoa and icing sugar, then use a round-bladed knife to mix in the oil, egg yolk and 1½– 2tbsp cold water. Gently gather into a ball, then roll out on a lightly floured surface to fit a 20cm diameter, 3.5cm deep loose-bottomed flan tin. Ease the pastry into the tin, leaving a slight overhang. Lightly prick the base, then chill for about 10 min.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Put the flan tin on a baking sheet, line the pastry with foil and fill with baking beans. Blind-bake for about 15 min until firm. Remove the beans and foil, then bake for another 10 min or until cooked. Remove from the oven and trim the edges with a sharp knife. Leave to go cold.
- To make the filling, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl (large enough to sit over a pan of water without touching the water). Mix the cocoa, coffee and vanilla extract with the milk and pour the liquid over the chopped chocolate. Now put the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, stir, then immediately take the pan off the heat but keep the bowl sitting on the pan. Leave, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate mixture is fully melted. Stir in 2tbsp boiling water, then take the bowl off the pan and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar until thick and glossy. Fold the crème fraîche into the cooled chocolate mixture. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture using a large metal spoon, then gently fold in the remaining whites, a third at a time, until evenly mixed in. Remove the pastry case from the tin and put on a serving plate. Spoon the filling into the case, smoothing out evenly. Chill for about 3 hr, or overnight. Dust with cocoa and serve with half-fat crème fraîche, if you like.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
243 4.4g 13.4g 7.3g 1.3g 13.7g 0.3g 54mg 25.8g 1.1mg