- Cooking oil spray, for greasing
- 175g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 6 eggs at room temperature, separated
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 40g ground almonds
- Icing sugar, to dust
For the filling
- 100g fat-free thick Greek yogurt
- 1tsp dark runny honey
- 2tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 150g fresh or frozen mixed berries, thawed, if frozen
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 30x20cm baking tray or swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (don’t let the water touch the bowl), then set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer for 5 min or until very pale and thick. In another large bowl, whisk the egg whites (with clean beaters) until they form stiff peaks. Fold the ground almonds and melted chocolate into the yolks, then gently fold in the whites until just combined.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, spread out evenly, then bake for 15–20 min until baked and springy to the touch. Set aside to cool in the tin for 10 min.
- Lightly dust a sheet of baking paper larger than the sponge with icing sugar, then carefully turn out the sponge on to it. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and a clean damp tea towel, then leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling, mix the yogurt in a small bowl with the honey until just combined. Remove the covering tea towel and baking paper from the cooled sponge, then spread the filling over it, leaving a 3cm border. Scatter over most of the flaked almonds and berries. Now roll the yule log up from one of the short ends, using the baking paper underneath to help you, pushing the sponge firmly up and over while supporting the curve at the base to prevent too much cracking. 7 Carefully lift the yule log on to a serving plate or board and chill for at least 30 min to firm up. To serve, dust with icing sugar and scatter around the remaining few almonds and berries.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
275 9.9g 16.1g 5.5g 1.9g 23.7g 0.2g 75mg 24.1g 1.8mg