- 150g blanched whole almonds
- 1tsp sunflower oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g dried cranberries
- 50g desiccated coconut
- A 500ml glass jar with a tightly-fitting lid, sterilised (see tip)
- Labels and ribbon, for wrapping
You’ll also need
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the almonds with the oil, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Spread the coated nuts over the prepared baking tray, then bake for 8–10 min until golden. Cool completely.
- Put a layer of the cooled roasted almonds in the sterilised jar, then top with the cranberries, then the coconut. Screw on the lid tightly, then write the instructions (see instruction label) on a label and attach with ribbon.
Tip: Sterilise containers by washing them in very hot soapy water, then rinse in hot running water and drain. Put in an oven preheated to 140°C/fan 120°C/gas 1 until completely dry.
Instruction label: Give this jar of Christmas trail mix a shake, then pour a small handful into a bowl to nibble on. Or sprinkle over low-fat Greek yogurt for a festive breakfast. Will keep for up to three months.