For the base
- 225g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- ½tsp sugar
- 2tsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
For the sauce
- Spray light oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- ½tsp chilli flakes
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
For the topping
- 80g Milano salami, roughly torn (available from Waitrose or Co-Op)
- 80g lighter mozzarella, finely diced
- A few fresh basil leaves, sliced, to garnish
- Make the base: put the flour, yeast, sugar and olive oil into a large bowl and stir to combine. Pour in 135ml lukewarm water and bring the dough together, then knead for 10–15 min until the dough springs back. If you have a stand mixer, use a dough hook and knead the dough for 10 min until it’s elastic and springs back to the touch. Put into a lightly greased bowl and leave to rise for 1 hr until doubled in size.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. For the sauce, add a couple of sprays of oil to a pan and fry the onion and pepper over a medium heat for 10 min until starting to soften. Add the garlic, vinegar, rosemary sprigs, chilli flakes and chopped tomatoes, then simmer for 20 min until the sauce has thickened. Remove the rosemary sprigs, season with freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Knock back the dough and split into 8 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece to a 1–2mm thick round, and put on to the lined baking tray. Spread the peperonata sauce over the top. Add the salami and mozzarella, then bake for 15–20 min until the base is crisp and golden and cheese is melted. Garnish with sliced basil and serve straightaway.
Make it ahead The dough can be made up to 12 hr ahead: once it has been kneaded, put it into a large, lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with clingfilm and transfer to the fridge. Bring the dough up to room temperature (about 1 hr), then knock back and continue with step 3. The sauce can be made up to 48 hr in advance and kept in a sealed container in the fridge.
Flavour enhancer Adding a pinch of salt to the dough can help to bring out the flavour, but it’s not completely necessary. If you like extra spice in your pizza, increase the chilli flakes in the sauce to 1tsp.