- 1tsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp grated fresh ginger
- 850g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 very low salt vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 750ml boiling water
- 165g can coconut milk
- Spray olive oil
- 4 slices wholegrain sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed
- 2tbsp toasted coconut flakes
- A few fresh herbs, such as basil, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 6–7 min until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Increase the heat to high. Add the mushrooms, reserving 100g, to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 3–4 min until golden and softened. Add the potatoes and the stock and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 min or until the potatoes are tender.
- Set the pan aside to cool, then blend the soup in batches until smooth. Return the soup to a clean pan, stir in the coconut milk and put over a medium heat. Season with ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, spray a medium non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a high heat. Cook the reserved 100g mushrooms, stirring, for 2 min or until golden.
- Spread the toast with the avocado and season with black pepper. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and top with the mushrooms and coconut flakes. Garnish with herbs, if using, and serve with the toast on the side.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
374 36g 11g 3.1g 9.1g 13g 0.6g 116mg 27g 3.5mg