- 1tbsp olive oil
- 12 skinless chicken thighs
- 150g lean back bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 375ml red wine
- 2tsp English mustard powder
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 2tsp reduced-salt chicken stock powder
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 250g button mushrooms
- 2tbsp cornflour
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- 1kg mashed potatoes, to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan. Add the chicken thighs and cook until brown, then transfer to your slow cooker.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook until browned, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook over a medium-high heat for 2 min, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the red wine, 250ml water, mustard powder, tomato purée, stock powder and thyme to the pan. Bring to the boil, then transfer to the slow cooker. Top with the mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 3–4 hr or on low for 6–8 hr.
- About 30 min before the end of cooking, mix the cornflour with a splash of cold water to form a paste, then add to the coq au vin, stirring until the sauce thickens. Garnish and serve with the mash.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
377 kcal 31g 7.4g 1.8g 4.1g 4.9g 1.6g 42mg 38.7g 2.8mg