- 80g steel-cut oats
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 very low salt vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 600ml boiling water
- 1 courgette, grated
- 30g parmesan-style vegetarian cheese, grated
- 2tbsp snipped fresh chives, plus extra to garnish
- 2 eggs
- 40g rocket
- Put the oats in a medium non-stick pan (that has a lid) with the bay leaf and stock. Stir and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 25–30 min, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy. Add the courgette for the last 2 min of the cooking time. Stir through half the cheese and the chives.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pan of water to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Use a large spoon to make a whirlpool, then carefully crack the eggs, one at a time, into the centre of the whirlpool. Poach for 3 min for a soft yolk or until cooked to your liking. Remove
with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Divide the porridge between 2 bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, then top each serving with rocket and a poached egg. Garnish with extra chives and a grind of black pepper.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
339kcal 20.3g 15g 5.7g 5.1g 2.5g 0.8g 272mg 32.5g 3.7mg