- 12 vegetarian sausages, sliced
- 100g red lentils
- 400g basmati rice
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2tbsp medium curry powder
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin reduced sugar and salt baked beans
- 150g frozen peas
- 2tbsp sultanas (optional)
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and cook the sausages until evenly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the lentils in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 min, then drain. Meanwhile, cook the basmati rice in another pan according to the pack instructions, then drain and keep warm.
- While the lentils and rice are cooking, heat the sunflower oil in the frying pan used to cook the sausages. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and pepper and cook for a few more min.
- Add the curry powder and tomato purée to the vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Heat through, then add the tinned tomatoes, baked beans and 125ml water. Simmer for 5 min.
- Return the sausages to the frying pan along with the lentils and peas. Cook for 5 min to heat through. Stir in the sultanas (if using), then serve the casserole with the rice, sprinkled with the parsley.
Health bonus: Tinned tomatoes are loaded with lycopene, an antioxidant linked to reducing the risk of certain cancers. In fact, they provide more lycopene in a form that’s easily absorbed by the body than fresh tomatoes.