- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g pork mince
- 2tsp cumin
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp chipotle paste or other hot sauce to taste
- 400g tin beans (pinto, black-eyed peas, black), drained and rinsed
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 250g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish, then add the onion and red pepper. Fry them gently over a low to medium heat for several minutes until they’re just starting to soften, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the pork mince and stir until it’s all well browned. Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano and chipotle paste (or other hot sauce), then tip in the beans and tomatoes.
- Pour 400ml water into the pan, then add the diced sweet potato and push well into the chilli.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Simmer the chilli for half an hour, then take the lid off the pan and simmer for another 15 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Serve with garnishes such as brown basmati rice, grated cheese, diced avocado, soured cream, handfuls of chopped fresh coriander and lime wedges.
HFG Tip: Turkey or chicken mince will make an easy swap for the pork in this recipe, if you prefer. For vegetarian diets, use soya or Quorn mince and add to the pan in step 2 with the spices, beans and tomatoes (without browning first).