- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 200g soup mix pulses, such as pearl barley, split peas and lentils
- 750g mixed root vegetables, such as carrot, parsnip, turnip and swede, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 4tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
For the dumplings
- 75g spinach
- 200g self-raising flour
- 75g low-fat spread
- 1tsp English mustard powder
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- Preheat the slow cooker. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the garlic and onions for 5 min or until softened. Transfer to the slow cooker with the remaining soup ingredients, then cover with 1.25 litres boiling water. Cook for 2 hr on high or 4–5 hr on low.
- When about 30 min of the soup cooking time remains, make the dumplings. Put the spinach in a bowl and cover with boiling water, then soak for 30 sec. Drain, squeezing out as much water as possible, then roughly chop and return to the bowl. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, then rub in the spread with your fingers. Mix in the mustard powder, parsley, chopped spinach and 3tbsp water to make a soft dough. Form into 12 balls, then drop into the soup and cook for 20–30 min until the dumplings are springy to touch.
- Divide the soup and dumplings among 6 bowls, then garnish with extra chopped parsley
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
355 12.3g 7.8g 1.5g 9.5g 11.1g 1.4g 231mg 62.7g 3.6mg