- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 drained anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves (2 crushed, 1 finely chopped)
- 400g baby plum tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 large courgette, chopped
- ½ x 25g bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- 16 butterflied sardines (about 500g) or 8 small mackerel fillets
- Zest 1 lemon
- 4 thick slices seeded bread, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion, anchovies (if using) and crushed garlic for 5 min or until the onion softens.
- Add the plum tomatoes, canned tomatoes and courgette to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 min or until thickened slightly. Stir in half the parsley, then pour the tomato sauce into a large, shallow baking dish.
- Arrange the fish, skin-side up, over the tomato sauce. Bake for 15–18 min until it’s cooked through.
- Combine the chopped garlic, lemon zest and remaining parsley in a bowl to make a gremolata. Scatter over the sardines, then serve with the bread.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
415kcal 35.3g 15.5g 3.7g 7.5g 15.7g 1g 263mg 34.9g 5.2mg