For the gluten-free flour mix
- 700g fine white rice flour
- 200g potato flour
- 100g tapioca flour
For the buns
- 150g gluten-free flour mix
- 55g light brown soft sugar
- 1½tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½tsp xanthan gum
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 55g rice bran
- 2 medium eggs
- 2tbsp oil
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 125ml skimmed milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1tbsp chopped walnuts or seed mix
- 1tbsp demerara sugar
- ¼tsp ground cinnamon
- 30g gluten-free banana chips, broken into pieces
- First make the gluten-free flour mix. Combine the flours thoroughly in a large bowl, or pulse in a food processor until blended.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, tip the flour mix, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon and rice bran, then stir to combine. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, mashed bananas, milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture. Stir gently until just combined and a soft dropping consistency – if the mixture seems too dry, add a drop more milk.
- Straightaway, spoon the mixture into the paper muffin cases, then top each with a sprinkling of the topping. Bake for 20 min or until the buns are well risen and golden on top, then serve while still warm.
Tip: The gluten-free flour mix makes 1kg. Store in an airtight container and use by the earliest ‘best before’ date of the 3 individual flours used.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
157 3.5g 5.7g 0.9g 1.8g 11.1g 0.2g 38mg 25g 1.6mg