- 100g currants
- 100g sultanas
- 100g dried sour cherries
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Grated zest and juice ½ orange
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp grated fresh nutmeg
- 100ml cognac or brandy
- 180g Total Sweet sugar alternative
- 1 granny smith apple, grated`
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 250g ground almonds
- 50g gluten-free cornflour
- 1tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 50ml vegetable oil, plus extra to grease
- 2tbsp black treacle
- Reduced-fat crème fraîche mixed with orange zest, or dairy-free
- coconut yogurt with a dusting of cinnamon, to serve
- You will also need
- 2-litre pudding basin
- Kitchen string
- In a large bowl, combine all the dried fruit, citrus zests and juices, the spices and alcohol. Cover with clingfilm and set aside to steep for 24 hr.
- The next day, mix in the Total Sweet, apple and carrot with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground almonds, cornflour and baking powder with a pinch of salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, one at a time, into the soaked fruit mixture, then stir in the oil and treacle. Finally, stir in the ground almond mixture until combined.
- Grease a 2-litre pudding basin with a little oil, then cut a disc of baking paper large enough to line the bottom of the basin and press it down into it. Spoon in the pudding mixture – the basin should be two-thirds full. Cover the top of the pudding with a disc of baking paper, then cover the top of the basin with a large sheet of baking paper and a large sheet of foil.
- Once you’ve covered and tied the basin, put an empty undyed cardboard egg box in the bottom of a large, deep, lidded saucepan big enough to hold the pudding comfortably. Sit the pudding on top, nestling it down slightly, then pour boiling water into the pan so it comes just over halfway up the basin. Put the lid on, put the pan over a low-medium heat and simmer gently for 4 hr. Check the water level every so often, topping up with boiled water when the level drops below halfway.
- Remove from the pan and leave to cool, then store in a cool dry place until ready to serve.
- To serve, set up the pan as in step 6. Simmer the pudding gently for 2 hr, then remove from the pan and stand for 10 min. Remove the wrappings, then invert on to a serving plate. Remove the paper, flame the pudding if you like, then serve with the orange crème fraîche or cinnamon coconut yogurt.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
351 7.1g 16.5g 1.5g 4.4g 21.9g 0.2g 98mg 42.8g 1.7mg