- 1.75kg whole chicken
- Fresh thyme sprig or a pinch dried thyme, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 apple, cut into quarters
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the chicken in a medium roasting dish. Push the thyme sprig (or sprinkle the dried thyme) inside the cavity, then add the apple pieces. Tie the legs together with kitchen string, if you like, to hold the stuffing inside, then lightly spray the skin over the top of the bird with oil.
- Mix the stock cube with 500ml boiling water until dissolved, then pour the stock around the chicken in the dish. Cover the dish tightly with foil, then cook for 1 hr 10 min.
- Remove the foil, then roast the chicken for 30 min more or until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced (if you have a digital probe thermometer, it should read 65–70°C when pushed into the breast).
- Carefully lift the chicken on to a carving board and cover with foil, then leave to rest for 10 min before serving, garnished with extra thyme sprigs, if you like.
TIP: While the chicken is resting, crank up the oven to crisp the roast veg (see recipe overleaf).
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
242 33.3g 12.1g 3.3g 0g 0g 0.2g 15mg 0g 0.9mg