- ½ aubergine, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 red pepper, halved
- 1 yellow pepper, halved
- Cooking oil spray
- 1–2 garlic cloves, crushed or sliced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch small vine tomatoes, snipped into small bunches
- 175g giant couscous
- 75g pitted black olives
- 75g fresh dates, chopped
- 390g tin artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 4tbsp balsamic dressing
- 4tbsp torn fresh basil leaves
- 100g mini mozzarella balls
- Heat the grill to high. Put the veg in a large baking tray and spray with oil, then grill for 20 min, turning regularly, or until lightly charred all over. Set aside to cool, peel off and discard the skin of the peppers, then cut everything into bitesize chunks. Toss with the garlic, olive oil and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Put the tomatoes in a baking tray and roast for 15 min or until softened.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, add the couscous and cook for 5–6 min until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain, then add to the grilled veg with the olives, dates, artichokes and balsamic dressing. Stir through the basil.
- Divide the salad among 4 bowls, top with the mozzarella balls, then serve with the tomatoes on the side.
Nutrition star: Just three fresh dates count as one of our five-a-day. They’re a good source of potassium, too, and help towards our daily intakes of fibre.