- 1 ripe avocado
- 1tbsp snipped fresh chives
- Juice ½ lemon
- Tabasco sauce
- Cooking oil spray
- 4 eggs
- 4 wholemeal or seeded English muffins, split in half
- 80g thin smoked ham slices
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a small bowl and mash roughly. Stir through the chives and lemon juice, then add Tabasco and ground black pepper to taste.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and set it over a medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into the hot pan and fry for 2–3 min until they’re cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, toast the muffins until golden. Spread the avocado mixture over the bottom halves of the muffins, then top each with ham and an egg. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, replace the muffin tops and serve.
Nutrition scientist Bridget Benelam says: This high-protein muffin will help keep you feeling full throughout the morning. Eggs are particularly good at filling us up, as well as being rich in nutrients, providing B vitamins, selenium, vitamin D and omega-3. Although avocados are quite high in fat, about 80% of this is unsaturated, which is better for your heart health. They also contain vitamins B6 and E, potassium and copper. Smoked ham is salty, but using chives and lemon juice for a flavour boost means you won’t need to add any extra salt.
How our recipe compares with a Sausage & Egg McMuffin: