- 225g wholemeal flour
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 140g soft light brown sugar
- 50g walnut pieces
- 1½tsp ground cinnamon
- 225g carrot, coarsely grated
- 425g can crushed pineapple pieces, drained
- 3tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- 3 medium eggs
For the cream cheese frosting
- 200g extra-light cream cheese
- 70g icing sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Lightly grease and line a 20cm square tin.
- Sift the flours and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and return any husks in the sieve to the bowl. Add the brown sugar and mix well to break up any lumps. Add the walnut pieces, cinnamon, grated carrot and crushed pineapple.
- In another bowl or jug, mix the oil and the eggs together. Add to the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Transfer the cake mix to the tin and bake for 40–50 min or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 min, then turn out on to a wire rack.
- Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until it’s soft, then add the icing sugar and lemon zest and mix. If the frosting appears a little runny at this stage, put it into the fridge for a while to thicken.
- When the cake is cold, spread over the cream cheese frosting. Cut into 12 and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
244 7.3g 8.6g 1.7g 3.4g 21g 0.6g 68mg 37.4g 1.7mg