Healthier cauliflower cheese
We've given a family favourite a healthy makeover by using skimmed milk and mature cheddar to retain the flavour without the fat.
1 comments Serves 4 Prep 15 min Cook 55 min
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 30g low-fat spread
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼tsp cayenne pepper
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml skimmed milk
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 150g reduced-fat vegetarian mature cheddar, grated
- 3tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Steam the cauliflower for 3–4 min, then drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Put a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the low-fat spread and onion, stir to coat, then turn the heat down and fry very gently for 15–20 min until the onion is pale golden and translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for 2 min. Add the cayenne pepper and the flour, then cook, stirring, for another 2 min. Turn up the heat and add a little of the milk, stirring (it will thicken immediately). Keep adding the milk gradually, stirring constantly. The sauce should have the consistency of double cream. If it looks too thin, bubble to thicken before continuing. When all the milk is added, stir in the mustard and 125g of the cheese, then season with black pepper.
- Put the steamed cauliflower in a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish, then pour over the cheese sauce. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese, then bake in the oven for 25 min or until the top is golden and crisp and the sauce is bubbling. Leave to stand for 2–3 min before serving.
Nutrition per serving
340 28.5g 11.5g 4.9g 7.1g 15.5g 1.3g 594mg 33g 2.5mg Read more on how we calculate nutrition.